Attorney Szerlag Files J&J Hip Lawsuits and Attends MDL Status Conference
Attorney David Szerlag has filed several lawsuits against Johnson & Johnson (J&J) and DePuy orthopaedics for defective DePuy ASR hip replacement systems that failed. These lawsuits are part of the larger multidistrict litigation (MDL). Mr. Szerlag attended a recent MDL status confernce.
Attorney David Szerlag attended the May status conference for the multidistrict litigation (MDL No. 2197) involving lawsuits against DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc. and Johnson & Johnson (J&J) on behalf of patients claiming injury from DePuy ASR hip implant products, specifically the DePuy ASR XL Acetabular Hip System. Szerlag, representing several of these patients, has filed lawsuits in several states.
“My clients’ lawsuits are in MDL to expedite the pretrial processes while each case maintains its own identity. The goal is get full and fair compensation for each of my clients as soon as possible,” stated David Szerlag, lead attorney for these lawsuits for PritzkerOlsen, P.A., a national product liability law firm. “Most of my clients have had hip revision surgery to remove their DePuy ASR hip implants. Others have high levels of chromium and cobalt ions caused by the DePuy hip implants, and my experience with these clients is that their conditions steadily worsen as the levels of chromium and cobalt continue to rise. Regardless of the stage of injury, my clients deserve compensation.”
At the May status conference attended by Szerlag, the Court noted that the MDL is progressing and that 37 million documents have been produced. The Court gave MDL leadership a month to come up with criteria for selecting cases for bellwether trials. “Bellwether trials” are trials of certain individual cases consolidated under the MDL that represent a common issue of fact or law. These bellwether trials are formally part of the MDL pre-trial process and are used to resolve the remaining cases.
“I am happy with the pace at which the cases are progressing,” stated Szerlag.
The ASR hip lawsuits against J&J and DePuy were consolidated in MDL in July of 2010, at which time they were transferred to the Northern District of Ohio. The DePuy MDL cases were assigned to the Honorable David A. Katz for coordinated and consolidated pretrial proceedings.
Attorneys David Szerlag and Fred Pritzker are available for a free consultation to patients with DePuy ASR hip implants, including those who have already had hip revision surgery and those who have not had any serious issues with their implants to date. Because the statute of limitations (time for filing a DePuy hip lawsuit) for these cases will be running out in many states, Szerlag recommends contacting him as soon as possible. Mr. Szerlag has offices in Providence, Rhode Island and Boston, Massachusetts. PritzkerOlsen, P.A. has offices in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- DePuy ASR Hip Implant Case Update – Florida Mass Tort Attorneys, Lawyers | Searcy Mass Torts (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Hip Lawsuits Moving Through MDL (Not a Class Action Suit), Says Attorneys Pritzker and Szerlag (prweb.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Offers to Help All Recipients of a DePuy ASR or a DePuy Pinnacle Implant Failure Get to the Best Possible Attorneys-Why Get Left Holding The Bag? (prweb.com)
- DePuy Pinnacle Lawsuit: New Court Orders :: Dallas Fort Worth Injury Lawyer Blog (earlsview.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Offers To Help All Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant Recipients (earlsview.com)
- DePuy’s BMJ fray: Is the hip maker showing its hand ahead of jury trials? | MassDevice – Medical Device Industry News (earlsview.com)
- New Lawsuit on DePuy ASR Hip Replacement: Severe Adverse Events (prweb.com)
- The US Drug Watchdog Now Calls Its Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant Recipients Initiative Vital Because of The Low Numbers Of People Identified & Offers The Best Attorneys (prweb.com)
- DePuy Hip Lawsuit | DePuy ASR Hip Recall (earlsview.com)
- DePuy ASR Hip Lawsuit | DePuy Hip Lawyer (earlsview.com)