Freedom from bed finally for 107-year-old Vidyavati
PTI | 10:08 AM,Aug 14,2011 Source: IBN Live
From Swapna Tarafdar(With Pix) New Delhi, Aug 14 (PTI) Vidyavati Chopra, the 107-year-old woman who underwent partial hip replacement surgery here is back on her feet within four months of surgery, helped greatly by her grit and doctors treating her.
Possibly one of the oldest patients to have undergone this kind of surgery, Vidyavati’s recovery has surprised even her surgeon Dr M K Magazine as she started moving with the help of walker within a month of such exercises.
“Although we had started physiotherapy from the next day of her surgery but she was asked to move around only in the first week of July. Now she can move around in her house.Seeing her age, we are amazed by her recovery,” Dr Magazine said.
A resident of Delhi’s Bengali Market, Vidyavati is possibly the oldest person to have undergone a partial hip replacement surgery and is now in a position to move around.
Lily Wauters, a British woman, is recorded by the Guinness World Records as the oldest person to have had a total hip replacement in 2007 when she was 101 years and 196 days old.
Vidyavati’s daughter-in-law Shresht Lata Chopra, who is in her late sixties, said “After the surgery, my mother-in-law has become more confident and is full of life. She now can move on her own in the bed and even walk around the house.
“The surgery and post-surgery physiotherapy looked after by a team led by Meera Kak has done wonders to her. If the physiotherapist does not turn up, she feels restless.” Vidyavati, may be among the few lucky ones still alive to have seen the trio of Bhagat Singh, Sukhbir and Rajguru in prison, had met with a freakish accident and had fractured her hip in April leaving her family worried about the option of surgery because of her age.
- Hip Replacement Loosening (earlsview.com)
- Australian National Joint Registry 2010 – Summary on Hip Replacements (earlsview.com)
- Techniques In Implementing A Hip Replacement Operation (earlsview.com)
- Hip Implants – from American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (earlsview.com)
- Anterior Hip Replacement (earlsview.com)
- Total Hip Replacement (earlsview.com)
- Revision Hip Replacement (RHR) (earlsview.com)
- “Alternatives To Hip Replacement Surgery?” (earlsview.com)
- How to Choose a Hip Or Knee Replacement Surgeon & Prosthesis (earlsview.com)
- Rowing on the St. Joe River after hip replacement surgery (earlsview.com)