Dislocation, dislocation rate, Femur head, high risk for dislocation, hip dislocation, hip instability, Hip Replacement, hip revision, Metal on metal hip, Orthopedic surgery, patient and surgical risk factors, Preventing hip dislocation, surgery, Traumatology, UNited States, University of Insubria, unstable total hip replacement
The unstable total hip replacement
Dislocation is one of the most common complications of total hip replacement – dislocation rate of 3.2%.
Despite increased experience with hip replacement, the overall rate has not yet changed. The risk of first-time dislocation as a function of time after the surgery is not well understood. But the risk of dislocation is highest during the first few months after hip replacement; however, first-time late dislocation can also occur many years after replacement.
In this paper, several risk factors were highlighted:
- surgical approach
- the diameter of the head
- component malposition
- insufficient abductor musculature
And also treatment options:
- long-term bracing after closed reduction
- component reorientation
- trochanteric advancement
- increasing offset
- exchange of the modular head and the polyethylene liner
- insertion of constrained liner.
Indian J Orthop. 2008 Jul-Sep; 42(3): 252–259.
PMCID: PMC2739467 Copyright © Indian Journal of Orthopaedics F D’Angelo, L Murena, G Zatti, and P Cherubino Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, University of Insubria, Varese – Italy Correspondence: Fabio D’Angelo, Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, University of Insubria, Viale Borri 57, 21100 Varese, Italy. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Minimally Invasive Total Hip Arthroplasty (earlsview.com)
- Special Surgery Table for Anterior Hip Replacement Operations (earlsview.com)
- Radiographic Assessment of the Patient With a Total Hip Replacement (earlsview.com)
- Smaller scars, faster recovery for new hip replacement (earlsview.com)
- McMinn Centre Data Suggests How Bad DePuy ASR was v. Others on the Market (earlsview.com)
- Mr McMinn, Inventor of the BHR Gives A Balanced Response to ABC 4Corners Program (earlsview.com)
- Another Legal Victory for Victims With Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Replacement Implants (earlsview.com)