Man, 93, undergoes hip replacement successfully
Published: Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012, 8:00 IST
By DNA Correspondent | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA
After being bedridden for more than a month and undergoing a total hip replacement surgery, 93-year-old Leo Kolge has got a new lease of life.
A resident of Kalyan, Kolge tripped and fell a month and a half ago. However, he ignored the pain and remained bedridden during that period.
Dr Ashish Arbat, orthopaedic surgeon at Fortis Hospital, said, “When Leo came to me, he was completely bedridden and he needed a hip replacement surgery. When we told him about the surgery, he was readily willing to go under the scalpel, which was an assuring sign. We made the patient walk on day three after the surgery and he was doing fine,” said Dr Arbat.
Kolge, who can now walk without any support, said, “I was totally bedridden and needed support. Since age was not on my side, a few doctors refused surgery. After the surgery, I am happy that I am back on my foot.”
Doctors said an older patient needs to be fit for a total hip replacement surgery. Total hip replacement surgeries are mostly done on patients aged between 55 and 80. Dr Pradeep Bhosale of the KEM Hospital said, “I have done six such surgeries on patients above 90. It depends on the bone condition of the patient and how fit s/he is.”
- Parker Waichman LLP Learns that British Hip Society Is Advising that Certain Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants Should No Longer Be Used in Total Hip Replacement Surgery (prweb.com)
- Willowbrook Man Pain-Free After New Direct Anterior Approach Hip Surgery – Downers Grove news, photos and events – TribLocal.com (earlsview.com)
- Pennsylvania woman to address FDA panel on husband’s hip-replacement recall – Philly.com (earlsview.com)
- Hip replacement and resurfacing equally effective at improving joint function | Arthritis Research UK (earlsview.com)
- Justice for Hip Failures: DePuy ASR Recall: Nearly 16,800 adverse events reported for metal-on-metal hips, including DePuy ASR and Biomet Magnum (earlsview.com)
- FDA Considers Metal Hip Injuries – A Bit Too Late for Some Victims – Florida Mass Tort Attorneys, Lawyers | Searcy Mass Torts (earlsview.com)
- Hip Replacement Surgery-Physiotherapy-Exercises-Ergonomic-Do’s-and-Don’ts | Medindia (earlsview.com)
- Preparing for Hip Replacement Surgery (earlsview.com)
- Size a hurdle but United States citizen gets new hip joint – Times Of India (earlsview.com)
- Smoking Hikes Risk of Knee and Hip Replacement Failure in Arthritis Patients (earlsview.com)