Antidepressant Celexa Could Cause Fatal Heart Damage, FDA Says
In an online posting, the FDA advised doctors to no longer prescribe Celexa in doses of greater than 40 milligrams a day, warning that high doses of the drug could alter the electrical activity of the heart and lead to an abnormal heartbeat. The FDA also rejected a claim, previously included on the drug’s label, that some depression sufferers could require dosages of up to 60 milligrams per day.
People who have preexisting heart conditions or low levels of potassium or magnesium in their blood face an elevated risk of Celexa-induced heart abnormalities, the FDA said. The agency advised people taking the drug to be on the lookout for “irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath, dizziness, or fainting.”
Celexa, known generically as citalopram, is part of a commonly presribed class of antidepressants called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), that also encompasses Paxil, Prozac and Zoloft, all popular medications.
SSRIs act on neurotransmitters, which regulate communication between different brain cells. The theory is that blocking a receptor in the brain that would otherwise reabsorb the neurotransmitter serotonin, SSRIs help brain cells communicate more effectively and thus boost mood.
- FDA Warns of Celexa Heart Risk (webmd.com)
- FDA warns of heart risks with high doses of Celexa (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Newer Antidepressants in Older Patients May Be Risky (earlsview.com)
- Popular Antidepressants Not Always Best Choice for Seniors (nlm.nih.gov)
- Conflicting Information on both sides of the Atlantic. (leoniefennell.wordpress.com)
- The US Drug Watchdog Says It’s Vital We Identify All Mothers Whose Baby Has A Serious Birth Defect If They Were Using Prozac or Zoloft While Pregnant (prweb.com)
- Serotonin: 9 Questions and Answers (webmd.com)
- The Onder Law Firm Launches New Site Pertaining Exclusively to Antidepressant Lawsuits (prweb.com)
- National Birth Defects Lawyers Offer Free Information for Parents of Children with Antidepressant Birth Defects from Drugs Such as Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro and Wellbutrin (prweb.com)
- Protracted withdrawal from SSRIs and SNRIs antidepressants (bipolarblast.wordpress.com)